Faith of Melchizedek
Let’s take a closer look at Melchizedek and his succession to see why it was important.
1. His name is actually his title, meaning my Lord is righteous
2. The man, Melchizedek, who met Abraham was part of an order or succession of men, beginning with Adam and continuing until Christ
3. Melchizedek was the priest of the God Most High
4. The man who held that title in Abraham’s day was the ninth man to hold the position and he was one of Noah’s sons, Shem
5. His appearance in Genesis was orchestrated by the Spirit so that Melchizedek would present a compelling picture of Christ
6. Moses never revealed that Melchizedek was Shem. Instead, he left the man’s genealogy a secret, never revealing his origins or his death
7. Furthermore, Shem had become the king of a Jebusite city called Salem, which was eventually to become Jerusalem
Discerning the succession of Melchizedek is laid out in three points in Hebrews.
First, Hebrews explains the significance of God having established two different priestly orders.
Melchizedek – Of The High Priests
Melchizedek is mentioned 11 times in the bible. Once in Genesis 14:18, once in Psalm 110:4 and nine time in Hebrews. Perhaps you’re not very familiar with the significance of the order Melchizedek or perhaps you haven’t even heard of the
order before. Learning about the role and succession of the high priest, knowing Jesus is our current and last high priest, and understanding the Order of Melchizedek as it relates to Jesus is an important part of knowing the word of God.
What is the role and qualifications for a high priest? What is “The Order of Melchizedek?” Who is Melchizedek and how is Jesus Christ connected to this Order? And why is this hard to explain? Questions that can be answered by letting God walk us through His Word for the answers. Continue reading